An eleven part Docuseries directed by Yaroslav Korotkov and produced by Lera Koptseva
DOCUSERIES IN DEVELOPMENT: CLICK HERE TO HELP THE PROJECT
Director: Yaroslav Korotkov
Format: 11 episodes (30 minutes each)
“WE” – Synopsis, as told by director Yaroslav Korotkov and producer Lera Koptseva
“For many years we have been trying to understand our national identity. What does it mean to be a Ukrainian? With a strong historical foundation, we believe that you could boldly answer who you really are.
Ukraine is only 30 years old. However, the end of the 19th century, the beginning of 20th and The Soviet Union – are the times that we have to cross off.
In this project, we would like to withdraw from politics and ideology and to replicate the life of Ukrainians from the beginning of the 20th Century to our days with the help of archive footage only.
Topics of the Docuseries
– Sports. What sports were popular at the beginning of the 20th century? How did the most popular sport – football – start in the USSR? How did the World historical events affect the Ukrainian’s achievements in sports?
– Everyday life. Out of habit, we do complain a lot about the inconvenience of the modern everyday life. But how did Ukrainians live at the beginning of 20th Century? Or in the 1950s? When did the hot water first appear in the country? How did the electrification of Ukraine happen? What kind of household equipment was accessible to the Ukrainians and when was it found?
– Food industry. Now we carefully control our food intake, as we have a huge range of different groceries available. But there were times with less diversity. What was the diet of a human being 100 years ago?
– Professions. The World is accelerating. Relevant jobs today can become useless tomorrow. How was the situation in the last century? Which professions were relevant and which the most popular? What were the most well-paid jobs?
– Dance/Party. How did young Ukrainians party, how did they entertain themselves and spend their free time. From the USSR propaganda, we know a lot about how the “labor man” used to work. But we know nothing about the way they used to relax, to gather at the disco and how different it was from today.
– Fashion. What were they wearing and how fashion varied during the years?
– Architecture, engineering. Not everyone is familiar with engineering, but everyone somehow is familiar with residential, office buildings and architectural monuments – where we live, work, or just see every day as we pass by. Throughout Ukraine, we see a legacy of completely different architectural styles. Kyiv is the most important example of the architectural diversity that surrounds us. Through this film, the viewer will be able to learn what architectural styles were popular in certain years, how the construction process took place, from which materials and technologies, as well as who built all those objects that surround us today.
– Art. Cinema, theater, music, literature, painting, folk art.
– Aviation. Ukrainian aircraft construction has well-known achievements, and modern world of aviation is much obliged for that. Currently, aircraft construction is being restored in Ukraine, so it is interesting to study its development from the beginning of the 20th century to the present day.
The last two topics are the most socially significant
– Donbass. With the passing of time, some topics become our everyday life. We cease to perceive it deeply, and it becomes a constant in-formation background. In part, issues of Donbass and Crimea are gradually becoming as such. That is why we would like to place special emphasis on the history of these regions, to remind the audience of significant events in the history of Donbass and the people who lived and worked there at different times.
– Crimea. A peninsula so unique for Ukraine nature. Formerly the most popular tourist destination: a region with unique infrastructure and ethnic groups that inhabited it. We will tell about the history, customs and features of Crimea.
The audience of the project can be the younger generation, from 12 years old, who will be interested to learn interesting facts about the world before the advent of the iPhone. It also will be interesting for the older generation to recall facts and events that they may have witnessed. Therefore, the total age range is from 12 to 70 years.
What is the purpose of this Docuseries?
To look into the past and teach the audience not to withdraw from it. On the contrary, to love your past. No ideology, but hometowns. And people who lived in Ukraine before us”."WE" - Discover more about the Docuseries